Jorge, Pest Advice, Pest Control

How to Get Rid of Foxes in the Garden

how to get rid of foxes

The population of foxes is rising with many now present in urban areas, feeding off our endless supply of rubbish. While it may seem impossible to get rid of this most canny of creatures, Primrose recommends ultrasonic repellers as a lasting solution to your fox problem.

Fox Profile

Intelligent and adaptable, foxes are among the species best suited to the anthropocene era, thriving in both rural and urban environments. Unafraid to colonise new areas, foxes will roam across huge areas in search of food and country foxes will move into urban areas and vice-versa.

Foxes breed between december and february, and in autumn cubs will move into new territories. This is the period where many inexperienced foxes will be hit by cars.

Despite commonly held beliefs, foxes are omnivores and will eat nearly anything.

Remove the Attractions

Key to avoiding pests is to put your rubbish in a secure bin and close the lid. This will deprive them of a source of food, removing the main pull factor.

For foxes specifically, it is important to secure your livestock and pets. Chickens should be enclosed in coop and guinea pigs/rabbits in a hutch.

Don’t leave food out for other animals, especially cats or dog food. Bird feed should always be put up high in specialised containers, inaccessible to rats.

Animal derived fertilisers, such as bone meal, can attract foxes.

Remove the Habitat

You can make you garden less appealing to foxes through keeping your garden tidy, removing garbage and sources of shelter. Foxes’ curiosity will be piqued by discarded rubbish such as old gardening gloves. Overgrown gardens provide excellent shelter and holes in the ground can be used as dens, which foxes will return to again and again.

Dens are common in urban areas under sheds and garages. Any holes you do find we recommend you fill in. This is best done late autumn, when there are no cubs. You can lure a fox out of a hole by using ammonia or human urine. New garages should always be built with a concrete base.

Restrict Entry

Securing your property is always worthwhile. A partially buried fence will make it difficult for a fox to dig under. A fence 6ft above ground level will be difficult for a fox to scale. Fence spikes can secure your property from both pests and intruders.

Deterrents

While all the above methods can help secure your property, you can’t control your neighbours, of which, some will inevitably attract foxes. This is why it is useful to first try ultrasonic devices, before resorting to more expensive solutions.

Ultrasonic Repellers

Ultrasonic repellers work by emitting ultrasound, which is inaudible to humans, but painful to foxes, causing them to leave the area. Ultrasound is preferred as it functions as a permanent deterrent to foxes, and causes no inconvenience to humans.

Our latest model is fitted with a sensor and will only activate in the presence of a fox. This ensures that a fox will associate its presence with the noise. Our device also emits at random-timing intervals in a wide range of frequencies, which ensures the noise is as disconcerting as possible, making it impossible for a fox to get used to the noise. We are so confident of its effectiveness, we are willing to offer a money back guarantee.

Jet Spray Repeller

Similar to ultrasonic devices, our jet spray repeller is fitted with a sensor and will spray any warm body within 10m in a 120 degree arc.

Sprays

As previously mentioned, human urine and ammonia can be used to deter foxes in the short term. This is what the product Scoot, a popular deterrent, is based off (aluminium ammonium sulphate).

Dogs

Foxes will not mess with large dogs, which can be great if your dog roams the garden.

Ineffective Methods

Killing or trapping a fox does nothing, except make room for another fox. Placing unsecured traps or poisons will get you into trouble with the law.

Jorge at PrimroseJorge works in the Primrose marketing team. He is an avid reader, although struggles to stick to one topic!

His ideal afternoon would involve a long walk, before settling down for scones.

Jorge is a journeyman gardener with experience in growing crops.

15 Comments

1. Sharyn khan

I like having foxes in my garden I do not have the attitude of thinking they are pests we encroached on their land and to be honest foxes need our help they are persecuted enough by illegal hunts men and fox cubs being killed by blood thirsty degranged men.
    I thought your company cared for wildlife I was obviously wrong.

1. Primrose Author

Hi Sharyn,

While you are right in that an animal is a pest in that we deem it so, and that no foxes deserve to be hunted for sport, foxes are a nuisance in that they will kill your chickens and pets if your garden isn’t secure. This is why we recommend using deterrents.

The idea that we encroached on their land is a weak argument. Foxes do not have a conception of their land, as did the native americans, and the only reason they are so numerous is that they are well adapted to urban areas. You are welcome to knock down your home and go live in the woods with the foxes, if you so passionately believe in reducing human settlement.

Thanks,

George

2. I am an avid Gardener. I reside fields etc. we have many fox’s. and though they can be a pest. it is lovely to hear them. as well as watch them play. in fact I would much rather have the fox’s! than the neighbours kids. they cause more harm in one day when at home. thanks any fox or its family members. and it’s not always the Fox. so leave them alone. an avid fox lover. ps if we stock every animal bird etc in a cage. we would have no wildlife because ignorance breeds ignorance.

3. Jean Bennett

I think this article is repugnant. Foxes are wild animals and beautiful creatures. I think the problem is with people and their arrogant attitude that they have a right to all that is on offer and they do not have to share or even be sympathetic to creatures who share their space.. I think an apology for the ignorance involved in the writing and publishing of this ‘article’ is in order. A massive change in selfish and cruel outlooks would probably lead to hedgehogs and other native wildlife returning to our landscape to the benefit of all who have any kind of human feelings.

1. Primrose Author

The article is not arguing that anyone has a right to all that is on offer, but providing means to secure your garden from an animal many deem to be a pest.

Your comment that a massive change in attitudes will lead to change is just a platitude.

Thanks,

George

4. Jean Bennett

As a result of the article on ‘ridding your garden of foxes’ I would request no further communications from you in future. I do not wish to be in any way associated with a company who shares such attitudes. I was at the British Nature reserve last week. Try telling the staff there that foxes are ‘pests’ and we need to be rid of them. probably we also need to be rid of all the beautiful creatures they try to save for the future. Certainly many of them are nearing extinction And not helped in any way by the attitude of the writer of the article. I really despair, I am just glad that others feel the same way as I do there is some hope.

1. Primrose Author

You are putting words into people’s mouths. There is no reason to suggest that nature reserve staff can’t have a balanced opinion. Foxes are deemed pests by many due to their propensity to target chickens and household pets.

The idea that an attitude of securing your garden from foxes will lead to extinctions of animals is obviously nonsense.

Thanks,

George

5. Jean Bennett

I have written two comments neither of them have been printed. Why is this? I If you want honest opinions why censor them. There was nothing offensive in them just an expression that the article on ‘ridding the garden of foxes” is offensive and should not be promoted by a gardening firm. The idea that the only reason that they should not be killed and harmed is that it may be against the law is abhorrent to most right minded people. We should live harmoniously alongside wildlife. If they cause a bit of disruption tough. We soon will have no wildlife left, already we have lost so much.

1. Anon

It clearly states ‘ridding your garden’ not ridding the world of foxes. I love them and respect them but I do not want them in my garden near my small children and pets

6. Enquirer

This article does not cover
    Does the deterrent impact on all mammals eg hedgehogs and cats? And what about birds. What about children and young people i hear that it us heard by them. What about babies? Can you turn it on and off?

1. Primrose Author

Hi,

The deterrent has a range of 32ft and will activate in the presence of any warm body. Young humans and many animals including cats and hedgehogs can hear ultrasound, so may be affected. I can’t imagine the device being effective against birds, especially if it is at ground level.

And yes it does have an on/off switch, so you can turn it off if you are concerned it affects your pets/children.

Thanks,

George

7. Peter Daniels

Just about early August a large hole appeared under my garden shed we
    assumed it was foxes as we live in the subburbs I blocked with bricks but
    the fox? dug out around the bricks to regain entry. I then took the attitude
    well its me against him so I have left him to his own until I can research how
    to get him to leave. In the meantime he has dug two other large holes while
    I am getting my options sorted out . I am looking at your suggestions and
    products and hope in October take him on.

8. Lynne Treanor

Thank you for the article.
    Foxes in urban situations are pests – they create mess and smell in the garden, they keep people awake at night with noisy mating, and have been reported to enter houses, endangering children and adults.

9. Joanna Catterall

Thanks for the article. I will be purchasing repellers because foxes are constantly using my garden as their toilet. It’s hideous to be constantly watching where we’re walking in our own garden but actually dangerous when it’s left all over the veg beds. So I’m glad there are products out there to keep them away.

10. #mothernaturesrealitycheck

Two differing situations, both in the same family. My mother actively feeds ‘her’ foxes in her suburban garden , so of course they are now used to this free and easy life. Until her dog was bitten on the nose by one. A vet bill later and is she changed in opinion? Not one bit. She will carry on doing what she believes best.
    Our garden has been regularly dug over, fouled in right up to the patio area and not just by foxes, we have badgers too that nearly managed to dig under the kitchen, ploughed through new fencing, dug up anything new we planted and turned our lawn into a quagmire with large foot sized holes to trip on. To say we have ‘learned to live with it’ over 12 years whilst losing guinea pigs to foxes( yes, they were in a hutch), plus a dog who sustained a scratch from a badger confrontation and our cat who ended up catching fox mange, I would say that nature has been somewhat winning here. Whilst I do not want our wildlife hung from the nearest tree, I would prefer the safety of deterrents that might actually discourage them from seeking an ‘easy’ life and return to what nature intended them to do- hunt in the wild, which is literally just a quarter mile away. My previous methods of filling holes in, sprinkling lawn with grass feed and weed( it smells funny, but only for a while) and hanging old cds at low heights, plus a solar pair of ‘flashing eyes’ simply don’t work. Our immediate neighbour has gone one step further in desperation and put a low charge electric wire along his lower fence.
    Sometimes, we have to put ourselves in the frame too. Why risk putting your hand/ foot in something revolting left by foxes when discouraging them from revisiting a specific area with a humane system that doesn’t poison or cause lasting damage might just help break a pattern. I hear it works on teenagers as well, because their hearing is supposed to be better than adults. That’s if they haven’t already ruined their hearing through too much volume on their I- phones. Try joining Springwatch and tell them all about your nature encounters, instead of whinging at a reputable company trying to offer some non hazardous solutions, Jean.