With many of us undertaking the daily grind, we are often unable to enjoy our gardens during the daytime unless it is the weekend. So why not plan your garden around the time you get to spend in it? There are a number of aspects of a moon garden that will allow you to enjoy it in the dim light of the evening and throughout the night if the moon is out. A moon garden’s purpose is to make the most of the natural light, in addition to flooding your senses with bright white blooms and relaxing aromas.
Sight is not the only sense that can be ignited in the garden – choosing fragrant flowers with strong scents will help you connect with nature in more than just a visual way. What’s more is you can enjoy fragrant blooms even when the moon is stuck behind the clouds and your garden lacks the light to be enjoyed with your eyes.
Some of our favourite more fragrant blooms are as follows:
- Sweet Pea
- Flowering Crabapple
Of course a lot of the time plants with fragrant foliage are forgotten about, but they definitely have a place in your moon garden:
- Myrtle – an evergreen shrub with a fresh, clear scent to its foliage
- Rosemary – the well known herb, that is popular with bees, has a woody & pungent aroma
- Eucalyptus – an evergreen tree with a minty, pine scent
Night bloomers are flowers that bloom best at night. Although many do still give out aroma during the day, if you venture into your garden after dark these flowers will let out an even more pungent aroma that will be sure to delight you. Here are some examples:
- Evening Primrose – this sweet-smelling perennial will also give your garden a splash of bright yellow colour
- Moonflower – the white flowers of moonflower only open at night and have a crisp, clean scent
- Japanese Wisteria – a vigorous woody climber, wisteria has a beautiful lilac colour and a sweet, pleasant aroma
White is the colour that shows up best at night, so when planning a moon garden you might want to mostly consider white flowers. An abundance of white is best and will be optimum for showing up in the darkness or under moonlight.
Here are some of our top picks for white flowers:
- Sweet Autumn Clematis
- Shasta Daisy
- Iceberg Rose
Daytime is not the only time you can enjoy your garden. Creating a moon garden will encourage you to make the most of the outside when you have the time to.